Sign Up For Updates
WORK FOR AMERICA VOTES
America Votes job opportunities are periodically updated and listed below when available. We are always looking for talented, dedicated progressives who might be interested in working for us; please feel free to send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For internship opportunities, please click here.
State Data and Targeting Manger for New Hampshire
America Votes works across the country with over 300 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, expand access to the ballot, coordinate issue advocacy and election campaigns, and protect every American's right to vote. America Votes has built a permanent advocacy and campaign infrastructure that provides coordination, data and targeting services to progressive organizations. Groups that are part of America Votes work on a broad range of issues including environmental protection, education, human and civil rights, women's rights, choice and labor. America Votes' strong progressive infrastructure will support our coalition partners' advocacy efforts and voter outreach.
For more information about America Votes visit our website at www.americavotes.org.
America Votes seeks an experienced individual for the full-time position of State Data and Targeting Manager for New Hampshire. America Votes utilizes and offers its partner organizations a range of voter file, data and targeting services. We seek an experienced individual with a combination of technical and political skills to manage these services and work with state partner groups. The Data and Targeting Manager will report to the State Director. Position is located in Concord, New Hampshire.
• Manage and coordinate all data needs of AV state Staff and Partners.
• Work with consultants and other AV staff responsible for the acquisition, enhancement, manipulation and management of voter files.
• Manage voter file access for AV partner organizations and their consultants.
• Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support and enhance voter contact programs. This includes analyzing voter files and generating reports, as well as assisting partners in employing best practices for targeting.
• Manage and enhance volunteer recruitment database, virtual predictive dialer, and other web based programs and information.
• Work with other AV staff and partner groups to ensure that programs are maximizing shared voter file, targeting, and other data resources.
• Make recommendations and provide strategic to support regarding ways to make data and database operations more efficient and effective.
• Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software problems.
• Work with vendors to resolve any IT issues that may arise.
• Other responsibilities as assigned
• Candidates should have an understanding of common direct voter contact programs and at least one cycle of experience in the use of data in candidate or issue-base campaigns.
• Strong VAN skills are required; familiarity with other online electoral/advocacy tools and constituent relationship management tools is a plus.
• Strong Excel skills are required, as is willingness and aptitude to learn new technical skills.
• Candidates should have a diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving while working independently or on a team, as well as the ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
• Must be a self-starter willing to work long irregular ‘campaign-style' hours and to travel as needed, especially during campaign season. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated history of persistence and resourcefulness in solving technical and data problems.
• Ability to communicate effectively, work well under pressure, be detail oriented, and meet deadlines.
• Must demonstrate discretion and good judgment
• Field experience in a volunteer or staff capacity a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401K.
To apply, please email a copy of your resume, a cover letter with salary requirements and three references to America votes at email@example.com with "NH Data and Targeting Manager" in the subject line.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer.
VVN POSITION: Database Programmer and Analyst
VVN is a not-for-profit corporation established to provide on the ground state-based data management, targeting and coalition-building advice and services to a variety of clients, including advocacy groups, charities, and political organizations. These services are interconnected and while each team member may specialize in a particular area, all staff collaborate extensively on a range of projects for disparate state-based 501c3, 501c4 and 527s.
VVN offers three main service lines - data management, data analysis, and strategic consulting. No other organization provides the same effective mix of products and services. Our staff focuses on strengthening the skills of local, state, and national clients in key areas while enhancing each organization's ability to do significant political and civic engagement work year-round. The Database Programmer and Analyst will provide data management services to a variety of non-profit organizations including labor, environmental groups, pro-choice advocates, marriage equality, education advocates, civil rights organizations, as well as non-profit, non-partisan civic engagement groups.
State Voices is a national network - built from the states up - that helps grassroots organizations win shared policy and civic engagement victories and build long-term power. We currently support the work of 501(c)(3) organizations or "state tables" in twenty-two states that connect hundreds of state, local and national affiliate organizations. State Voices has provided our affiliates with a variety of resources and tools to create support and enhance the impact of 501 (c)(3) civic engagement organizations across the country.
America Votes works across the country with over 300 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, expand access to the ballot, coordinate issue advocacy and election campaigns, and protect every American's right to vote. America Votes has built a permanent advocacy and campaign infrastructure that provides coordination, data and targeting services to progressive organizations. Groups that are part of America Votes work on a broad range of issues including environmental protection, education, human and civil rights, women's rights, choice and labor. America Votes' strong progressive infrastructure will support our coalition partners' advocacy efforts and voter outreach in 2014.
We are looking for an individual with analytic, programming and data management skills who thrives in a startup environment to join our growing national team. Ideal candidates for this position will have strong technical skills and the ability to write and test code independently . A strong record of successful projects and resourceful problem solving in fast-paced environments is required.
Job function and duties will include the following:
- Work with large, multi-million row relational data sets using SQL (MySQL and PostGreSQL), perl, python and other data management tools in a *NIX environment.
- Assist in developing scripts and protocols for large scale database migrations.
- Generate reports summarizing data sets and tracking changes to the data sets.
- Manipulation of voter, membership, volunteer, and other lists in a server based data environment.
- Supplement voter file data from vendors with geocodes, additional election districts and modeling data appends as needed.
- Participate on a data and targeting team dedicated to building a permanent, shared, national technology infrastructure.
- Assist in data management for experiments and controlled voter targeting.
- Manage and continue to develop a library of perl and sql scripts for reporting, data targeting and analysis.
- Other duties as assigned
- Two to five years of programing and database management experience and completion or progress toward a degree in Computer -Science/Engineering or other technical field.
- Strong data management skills using SQL databases in a *NIX environment.
- Familiarity with programing languages including Perl (preferred), Python, Bash.
- Experience explaining technical details to non-technical people, including in formal training.
- Ability to write and test code independently, following core specifications.
- Experience with managing quality assurance and testing.
- Ability to manage several tasks and projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- Pipeline and ETL experience, including fuzzy string matching, geocoding, and address parsing.
Location: Washington, DC
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits.
To apply, please email a copy of your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at VVN, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.